Monday, 11 February 2013

How do you prepare for Half Term?


It is Half Term Week for us this week, I know others are look forward to having their Half Term Holiday next week.  It got me wondering, if/how you prepare for Half Term?

I love school holidays! No really I do.  I love not having to traipse to school and back twice a day, all the rushing about, homework and having to remember book bags/PE kits. 

I enjoy spending more time with my 3 girls, they are all growing up so fast it is brilliant just to spend time together doing what we feel like.  To make sure that we get the best out of Half Term Week there’s some preparation/organisation that we do beforehand. 

I like to make sure that the house is organised so we don’t have to traipse to the shops and we have enough craft goodies available for my girls to choose their own activities and be creative.  I try and limit trips to the shops as it saves us money, cuts down on pester power and whinges for treats and is much less stressful for all of us.

The week before Half Term I normally ask my girls if there is anything special that they would like to do.  We agree on a couple of activities and then I schedule them throughout week, so that we have a couple of at home, an outing, a couple of days at home (perhaps with friends over to play) and then a final outing before school starts back.

I find having a change of scenery every couple of days helps make sure that my 3 girls get along without getting too sick of each other.  I usually have a day or two at home at the beginning of the holidays, so everyone can get some rest to recover from the school term, then a couple of days at home at the end of the week so that they head back to school refreshed.  We try to get everything organised for back to school and ready over the weekend to avoid the “night before they go back to school rush to find stuff”.
  
Stock up on baking ingredients

With all my girls home and visitors coming and going we inevitably tend to go through more food than in term time.  My girls’ favourite activity in the holidays is baking/cooking which is useful as it keeps them amused and feeds them as well.  They all know to help clean up afterwards too which helps keep my stress levels down.  I include extra baking supplies, substantial lunches and snacks in my Meal Plan too.  

Here’s what I make sure I have in the pantry:

Flour – self raising, plain, bread
Sugar - caster, light soft brown, icing
Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
Vanilla Extract and food colourings
Butter/stork
Cheese
Eggs
Vegetable oil
Rolled oats or other cereal
Golden syrup
Cocoa
Mixed spice and mixed herbs

  
I also stock up on crafting goodies

I try and make this as inexpensive as possible.  I keep cereal boxes, egg cartons and some containers instead of putting them in the recycling so we have a range of materials for crafting.  The £1 shop is fab for cheap crafting materials too.  I make sure I have:

Drawing paper
Recycled boxes
Straws
Pipe cleaners
Paper plates and cups
Adhesive Tape
Glue – glue sticks and refill sticks for my hot glue gun
String/thin elastic
Beads
Felt/Fabric
Wool
  
Do you do anything special to prepare for the school holidays?


No comments:

Post a Comment