Friday, 29 July 2011

Making do when the cupboards are bare

Yesterday I looked after loads of children (8 in the morning, 7 in the afternoon). I had to provide morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and snacks. Needless to say, today my fridge is almost empty and even my usually well stocked pantry is looking rather miserable.

I've got a banging headache and the girls are being feral because they're tired after yesterday's mahem visitors so I had two choices, make do with the meagre offerings we had or drag 3 tired and semi-feral girls around the supermarket and I really could'nt be arsed.  Our online grocery delivery is due tomorrow and I've recently written posts on being frugal and cutting down the cost of grocery bills so I decided to practice what I've been preaching and make do with what we have.

We ended up making fruit scones for morning tea and had them with homemade plum jam from the pantry.

Lunch was sweetcorn fritters using the Whatever Fritter recipe with salad leaves from our garden and soem tomato ketchup.  We had homemade berry sorbet for an after lunch treat.

Homemade Berry Sorbet

¼ cup icing sugar

500g frozen berries.

Put the frozen berries and icing sugar into a food processor and pulse until just blended to sortbet consistency.  Serve immediately. 


Our afternoon snack will be leftover fruit scones from this morning. 

Dinner will be Bean Hotpot with baked potatoes because I persuaded my daughters to dig up some spuds from the garden to have with dinner.  For pudding we'll be using apples off the tree in our backyard and having:

Baked Apples

5 apples

1 cup ( a decent handful) mixed dried fruit, eg: sultanas, dates, apricots

1 Tblsp brown sugar

1 Tblsp butter, melted

1 tsp cinnamon

125ml (1/2 cup) water

Preheat oven to 180C.  Core the apples, but leave the base intact to hold in the filling.  Don't peel the apples, just make a cut in the skin all the way around the middle to allow the apple to expand as it cooks. 

In a bowl mix the dried fruit, brown sugar, merlted butter and cinnamon together.  Carefully spoon the dried fruit mixture into the apples. Place apples in a baking dish and pour in the water. Bake for about 35 minutes or until soft.  Serve with warm custard, homemade or store bought.


I've got enough baking ingredients left in the pantry (just) to make pancakes for brunch tomorrow since we're low on cereal, and the kids can have them with homemade jam or baked sliced apples from the tree.  Hopefully our online grocery delivery will have us restocked again tomorrow morning. I can't wait!

3 comments: